High wind warning in effect for western Utah; WB I-80 closed due to semi crash
TOOELE, Utah — A high wind warning has been issued for parts of western Utah, including the Tooele Valley and Interstate 80 through the West Desert.
Meteorologists say the area will see winds of 30 to 45 mph with gusts up to 65 mph. Gusts of nearly 70 mph were reported near Lakepoint Tuesday morning.
Westbound I-80 was closed at milepost 79, near Skull Valley Road, due to a crash involving a tipped semi-truck that was blocking all lanes. Authorities said they hoped to have the crash cleared by 10:30 a.m. and drivers should expect major delays in the area.
One lane was reopened around 10 a.m. but UDOT said intermittent closures and delays are possible throughout the morning.
The Utah Highway Patrol said drivers of high-profile vehicles should use caution throughout Tooele County, but no restrictions were in place as of 8:20 a.m. Tuesday.
“Potentially higher winds are expected later and this is just the leading edge of the storm,” said UHP Maj. Beau Mason.
The high wind warning is in effect through 6 p.m. Tuesday.
— Derek Petersen (@Derek_Photog) December 14, 2021
- High winds, heavy snow warning for ‘hazardous conditions’ Friday morning - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 17145)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 9231)
- SB I-15 closed in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 6159)
- High winds, heavy snow warning for 'hazardous conditions' Friday morning (pageviews: 5239)
- Witness recounts 'miraculous' Moab rescue after BASE jumper crashes into cliff (pageviews: 4464)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4141)