‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ celebrates its 20th anniversary
SALT LAKE CITY — Although it’s been 20 years since it was released in theatres, the first installment of “The Lord of the Rings” movie trilogy still draws quite a crowd. A midnight showing at the Gateway downtown drew folks dressed as characters and other enthusiasts of director Peter Jackson’s adaption of author J.R.R. Tolkien’s popular work celebrates its 20th anniversary on Dec. 19.
Sub-titled “The Fellowship of the Ring,” the movie drew a whopping $89.7 million worldwide at the box office over its opening weekend. The tale of hobbit Frodo Baggins and the Fellowship in Middle earth pursuing destruction of the “One Ring” and Dark Lord Sauron” was told in three technology-advanced films, The others include “The Twin Tower” in 2002 and “The Return of the King” in 2003. The movies have worldwide receipts of $2.99 billion.
In 2007, USA Today said “The Lord of the Rings” were the most important films over a 25-year span. In 2012, a readers poll by Wired magazine said “The Fellowship of the Ring” was voted as “the greatest fantasy film of all-time.” Earlier this month, the movie was inducted into the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Many of the cast members recently commemorated the 20th anniversary with a rap song on “The Late Show with Stephen Cobert. The stars included Sean Astin, Orlando Bloom, Billy Boyd, Dominique Monohan, Viggo Mortensen, Andy Serkis, Hugo Weaving and Elijah Wood.
“If you ask me, there is no better film series,” Cobert said. “Lord of the Rings” is without a doubt the greatest trilogy in movie history.”
- ‘Our worst fears': Kidnapped baby, parents, uncle found dead (pageviews: 6449)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6433)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 6050)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 5371)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3347)
- Father, son found dead inside West Jordan home (pageviews: 3137)