Assault victim’s mother reacts to sex offender’s latest arrest
RICHFIELD, Utah — A registered sex offender is back in prison after allegedly approaching a high school student and offering to pay for her underwear.
Christopher Todd Peck, 42, was arrested and booked into the Sevier County Jail for disorderly conduct, criminal trespass, intent to engage in sexual activity for a fee and dealing in materials harmful to a minor.
Police in Richfield said on Dec. 15, Peck parked next to a car and waited for a Richfield High School cheerleader to get to her car after practice. Peck asked for her underwear in exchange for $30. The girl drove away, police were contacted and Peck was later arrested.
In 2002, he was convicted of attempted forcible sexual abuse and sentenced to up to five years in prison.
In 2009, he was convicted for sexually abusing a 12-year-old girl and was sentenced to a term of one to 20 years. He was released from prison and granted parole after 11 years in 2020. The mother of that girl feels that he should still be behind bars.
“He is evil and I don’t think someone like that will ever change,” she said. “How he is out 13 months and has already re-offended? That’s a problem.”
When she heard about Peck’s latest arrest she said it re-traumatized her daughter and the family.
“All I could think was thank God it wasn’t worse,” she said.
She said the latest incident reminds her of the “what ifs” from her daughter’s case.
“I wish I could say I did my due diligence you know check the sex offender registry. I did. Unfortunately, he moved in after.”
She is urging all parents to check the sex offender registry often to help protect our children and the community.
“I felt like I completely failed her and it was a horrible feeling. I wouldn’t wish that on anybody,” she said.
The Utah Department of Corrections has made it easy for anyone to check on sex offenders in their area. Visit their website for more information.
- Utah teen dies after becoming trapped underneath sand in Kanab (pageviews: 14172)
- Jerry Bruckheimer addresses Johnny Depp’s future with ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ franchise – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 14014)
- Provo officer’s death recognized as line-of-duty from meth exposure 16 years later (pageviews: 6911)
- US reaches deal to reopen shuttered baby formula plant (pageviews: 5407)
- Big cross-border tunnel is found linking Tijuana to San Diego (pageviews: 4923)
- Pedestrian killed in Ogden crash (pageviews: 3920)