A Utah Christmas party goes awry when a father begins shooting
WEST JORDAN, Utah—What began as a family Christmas Party ended with shots being fired and an intoxicated man shooting his son.
According to court documents, officers responded to a shooting in West Jordan. A family was having a Christmas party when Gerardo Rascon became very intoxicated and verbal with family members. Rascon’s son approached Rascon to confront him about some things he’d said about his grandmother.
In response, Rascon took a swing at his wife, striking her in the neck. Rascon then took a swing at his son, hitting him in the face and knocking off his glasses. The son hit Rascon back and to prevent further violence, pinned his father to the ground. When the son was convinced Rascon was calm, he let him go.
However, Rascon then went to his bedroom and returned with a gun which he used to shoot his son, hitting him in the shoulder. Rascon’s wife was behind their son when the shot was fired, but was unharmed by the bullet.
The son then approached Rascon in an attempt to take the gun from him when several other shots were fired in the wrestle for control.
Because Rascon was intoxicated, he was considered a restricted person possessing a firearm. A portable breath test showed his breath alcohol tested .142 BAC.
Rascon was arrested and will faces charges of two counts of aggravated assault, two counts of assault, unlawful possession of a weapon, intoxication, and discharge of a firearm in the direction of a person.
The victim was transported to a hospital and is expected to recover.
- Utah teen dies after becoming trapped underneath sand in Kanab (pageviews: 14172)
- Jerry Bruckheimer addresses Johnny Depp’s future with ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ franchise – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 14014)
- Provo officer’s death recognized as line-of-duty from meth exposure 16 years later (pageviews: 6911)
- US reaches deal to reopen shuttered baby formula plant (pageviews: 5407)
- Big cross-border tunnel is found linking Tijuana to San Diego (pageviews: 4923)
- Pedestrian killed in Ogden crash (pageviews: 3920)