Father, two children seriously burned after motorhome catches fire in southern Utah
Dec 28, 2021, 9:38 AM | Updated: 10:48 am
VEYO, Utah — Two children and their father suffered serious burn injuries after a motorhome the family was living in ignited in Washington County.
Family spokesperson Greg Copeland said his son and daughter-in-law have been traveling across the country with their four children in a bus they converted into an RV.
During a stop in Veyo, one of their daughters reported a propane heater was making noises. Copeland said the bus then “exploded.”
Washington County authorities said deputies arrived on scene and found the bus nearly fully engulfed, with flames coming out of its roof.
The family’s oldest son was able to escape through an emergency exit while Kyle Copeland, their father, ran back into the bus to rescue his 11-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son.
Greg Copeland said his granddaughter suffered serious burns on 80% of her body while Kyle Copeland and his youngest son suffered burns on their hands, backs and faces.
Copeland’s wife, Whitney, also had burns on her hands from helping her children get out of the bus.
Copeland, his 11-year-old daughter and his 3-year-old son were airlifted to Intermountain St. George Hospital before being transferred to the burn center at the University Medical Center of Southern Nevada, which is located in Las Vegas, according to a GoFundMe* account that has been established for the family.
The Copelands had previously lived in Veyo and were visiting for the month of December, according to friends.
The two children that were not seriously injured in the fire were transported to an area hospital for precautionary measures.
Friends said the family was living out of the motorhome and they lost all of their possessions in the fire. The Utah State Fire Marshal will conduct a full investigation into the fire.
*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.