Two dead, another injured after SLC RV fire
SALT LAKE CITY — Two people are dead and another was being treated for smoke inhalation after an RV caught fire, according to officials with the Salt Lake City Fire Department.
Firefighters responded to the area of 1775 West and 200 south around 7:30 a.m. Wednesday.
The area is part of a homeless encampment.
Salt Lake City Fire Captain Tony Stowe said crews were on the scene quickly and started dousing the flames but they could not get to the people inside until after the fire was out.
Stowe said firefighters had to break into the RV through the back but by then the two people inside were already dead.
“The entire front end of that RV was on fire. We didn’t have any initial reports of any occupants in there but just based upon the occupancies up and along here, several RVs, several encampments, it’s one of the things we go straight for,” Stowe said.
A third person who was near the fire escaped the flames.
Firefighters said a dog also died in the fire.
Investigators were trying to find and notify family members.
The people inside were apparently sleeping and trying to stay warm.
Fire officials have not confirmed how many people were inside the RV.
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 11575)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9563)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 5197)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 3641)
- Live (pageviews: 2740)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County (pageviews: 2074)