Man in custody following standoff with SLC police
SALT LAKE CITY — A 39-year-old man was taken into custody late Wednesday night following a standoff with police that lasted nearly four hours.
Officials with the Salt Lake City Police Department said their investigation began just after 7:30 p.m. Wednesday after dispatch received reports of someone hearing gunshots in the area of Lafayette Drive and Lamarne Street.
“While investigating, officers witnessed the suspect holding a firearm,” authorities said. “Additional patrol officers and medical teams were immediately dispatched to the area.”
Police contacted the suspect and began lengthy negotiations while asking nearby residents to temporarily shelter in place.
Officers said they located evidence of shots being fired near the suspect’s residence and confirmed the suspect fired several rounds outside the residence toward the ground.
SWAT officers were dispatched to the area and safely took the suspect into custody at 11:25 p.m. after he exited his residence and started having face-to-face conversations with officers.
No injuries were reported during the incident, and police say the suspect was taken to an area hospital for a physical and mental health evaluation.
Police later identified the suspect as Adam Herold and said Herold was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on multiple charges, including assault against a police officer and obstruction of justice.
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 23816)
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 18797)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6273)
- Police: Man dead after riding lawn mower falls off terrace (pageviews: 3369)
- 4 charged in Texas semi-truck smuggling operation that left 53 migrants dead (pageviews: 3159)
- 2nd visitor in 3 days gored by Yellowstone park bison (pageviews: 3152)