LOCAL NEWS

Beware of the ‘invisible killer’ while trying to stay warm

Jan 5, 2022, 8:45 AM | Updated: 9:13 am
FILE PHOTO (nidirect.gov.uk)...
FILE PHOTO (nidirect.gov.uk)
(nidirect.gov.uk)

SALT LAKE CITY — Frigid temperatures come with an increased risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Intermountain Healthcare physicians are reminding folks to be careful of the deadly and invisible gas as use of fuel-burning heating equipment increases. Residents are encouraged to use only approved heaters and make certain that carbon monoxide (CO) are installed and working.

“When the furnaces turn on, the carbon monoxide detectors should also get a checkup,” said Dr. Marc Robins, Intermountain Healthcare Medical Group hyperbaric medicine specialist. The gas can also come from automobile exhaust, a faulty furnace and small gas engines. Other fuel-operated machines present danger.

Carbon monoxide can be produced from any fuel-burning heating equipment. This includes chimneys, fireplaces, furnaces, gas stoves, portable generators, space heaters and water heaters. Poorly ventilated spaces also present dangers with automobile exhaust, faulty furnaces and small gas engine. CO is colorless, odorless and tasteless. The poisonous gas — known as the “invisible killer” — is virtually undetectable by humans. It’s the No. 1 cause of death by poisoning in the United States.

CO is colorless, odorless, tasteless and a poisonous gas. Because it is virtually undetectable by humans, it’s dubbed the “invisible killer.” In the United States, it is the number one cause of death by poisoning.

“Unfortunately, some of the symptoms that come with carbon monoxide poisoning mimic COVID and flu symptoms – headache, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, aches, and pains,” Robins added. “If you suspect you or someone in your family have been exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide you should leave immediately and seek help.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notes that more than 400 people in the U.S. will die from unintentional CO poisoning each year. More than 20,000 people visit emergency rooms following incidents. Intermountain Healthcare patients with carbon monoxide poisoning are treated with high-flow oxygen, often in a hyperbaric chamber, to reduce the risk of permanent brain damage. Even so, once poisoned, disability can still occur in terms of permanent brain or cardiac injury.

Thus, avoidance and prevention are important. As such, Intermountain Healthcare is offering the following suggestions to reduce the risk of exposure:

– Schedule an annual check-up, for your furnace and hot water heater.

– Every home and business should have a carbon monoxide monitor and alarm.

– Check any chimney flues for blockage.

– Don’t keep cars running in enclosed spaces, such as garages.

– Be aware of symptoms.

KSL 5 TV Live

Top Stories

Local News

(KSL TV)...
Casey Scott, KSL TV

Casey Scott gives first-hand preview of ‘Xtreme Bulls’ event in Nephi

The Juab County Fairgrounds in Nephi are getting ready for a big event this weekend - "Xtreme Bulls 2022."
15 hours ago
Brooke Williams

Utah’s Best Friends Animal Society breaks ground on staff housing project

The Best Friends Animal Society is building 24 housing units for it's employees in an effort to retain staff at their headquarters in Southern Utah.
15 hours ago
(Garland Fire Department)...
Madison Swenson

One taken to hospital after car rolls 100 feet off I-15

A driver was able to get out by themselves after their vehicle rolled 100 feet down into an embankment in Box Elder County.
15 hours ago
(KSL TV)...
Josh Ellis

Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers

One man was hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem police officers on Thursday.
15 hours ago
(Mark Wetzel/KSL TV)...
AIMEE COBABE, KSL Newsradio AND ALEX CABRERO, KSL TV

Researchers using dirty diapers to develop new autism test

A group of researchers at Brigham Young University is looking for ways to detect autism in children earlier. And they’re using dirty diapers to do it. 
15 hours ago
...
Tamara Vaifanua

Utah woman helping create diversity, inclusion in tech industry

As we celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, a Utah woman is creating a space for more diversity in the tech industry.
15 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Happy diverse college or university students are having fun on their graduation day...
BYU MBA at the Marriott School of Business

How to choose what MBA program is right for you: Ask these questions before you apply!

Wondering what MBA program is right for you? Take this quiz before you apply to see if it will help you meet your goals.
Cloud storage technology with 3d rendering drawer with files in cloud...
PC Laptops

How backing up your computer can help you relieve stress

Don't wait for something bad to happen before backing up your computer. Learn how to protect your data before disaster strikes.
young woman with stickers on laptop computer...
Les Olson

7 ways print marketing materials can boost your business

Custom print marketing materials are a great way to leave an impression on clients or customers. Read for a few ideas to spread the word about your product or company.
young woman throwing clothes to organize a walk in closet...
Lighting Design

How to organize your walk-in closet | 7 easy tips to streamline your storage today

Read our tips to learn how to organize your walk-in closet for more storage space. These seven easy tips can help you get the most out of your space.
Types of Computer Malware and Examples...
PC Laptops

5 Nasty Types of Computer Malware and Examples | Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Computer and Family Safe

Here are the different types of computer malware and examples that could potentially infect your computer.
tips how to quit smoking...

7 Tips How to Quit Smoking | Quitting Smoking Might be One of the Hardest Things You Ever Do but Here’s Where You Can Start

Quitting smoking cigarettes can be incredibly difficult. Here are 7 tips how to quit smoking to help you on your quitting journey.
Beware of the ‘invisible killer’ while trying to stay warm