Police arrest man for murders in 2006 and 2008, extradite him from Mexico
SALT LAKE CITY— Juan Antonio Arreola-Murillo was booked into Salt Lake County Jail Thursday after being extradited from Mexico on multiple murder and burglary charges. Arreola-Murillo is allegedly charged with three counts of aggravated murder, one count of aggravated robbery, and two counts of aggravated burglary.
On Feb. 9, 2006, Arreola-Murillo killed 29-year-old Sonia Mejia and her unborn child according to court documents. She was home alone the morning of Feb. 9 when a neighbor witnessed Arreola talking to Mejia and then forcibly entering the home around 11:30 a.m.
Mejia was found dead by her husband at 6 p.m. that evening when he arrived home from work. She had been strangled to death at her apartment at 1167 W. Clubhouse Drive (4000 South) in Taylorsville. Mejia was six months pregnant. Her car, a Ford Escort was missing, as well as the jewelry she had been wearing.
The car was found four days later at Fairfield Inn at 590 W. 4500 S.
For the Feb. 9, 2006 incident, there are two counts of aggravated murder and two counts of aggravated burglary.
Two years later to the day, on Feb. 9, 2008, Arreola-Murillo killed Damiana Castillo at 4000 South Redwood Road according to court documents. She was also found strangled to death.
For the death of Castillo, Arreola-Murillo faces charges of one count of aggravated murder and one count of aggravated robbery according to court documents.
Arreola-Murillo was deported to Mexico in 2008 and has not returned to the United States since that time.
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)