LOCAL NEWS

Charging hoverboard to blame for Herriman house fire

Jan 14, 2022, 6:05 PM | Updated: Jun 8, 2022, 4:30 pm

HERRIMAN, Utah — It happened again. Firefighters were called to a fire that was caused by a hoverboard that was charging and somehow burst into flames.

“Every so often, those chargers overheat and just the batteries explode inside them,” Patrick Costin, public information officer with the Unified Fire Authority, said.

The latest incident happened at a Herriman home Thursday evening.

A family was charging a hoverboard in their garage when they started smelling smoke.

When flames began to burn, the family got out of the house.

(Unified Fire Authority)

“The family had just purchased it. Plugged it in to try and get it charged up. Next thing you know, saw a whole bunch of smoke,” Costin said.

Firefighters put out the fire before the flames could spread to the rest of the house.

However, the news of what happened quickly spread to the Miner family.

“Can’t believe it happened again,” Craig Miner said.

“Shocked,” Craig’s wife, Tamilisa, said.

A hoverboard charging in their Lehi home this past summer also burst into flames.

Utah Family Issues Warning After Hoverboard Explodes Inside Home

A home surveillance video showed when it started to smoke, and when the fire started, the explosion sent burning batters flying into the air.

“We had full on huge flames everywhere,” Tamilisa said.

The Miners spoke to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission about their incident.

They also did research on hoverboard fires and couldn’t believe what they found.

“I found we were about the 216th hoverboard fire,” Tamilisa said. “There had been recalls, but years ago.”

However, these types of hoverboard fire are still happening.

Even though chances are small it will happen, the Miners have made it their goal to let families know it can happen. Like at her home last summer, and now the Herriman home Thursday night.

“Maybe yours will be fine, but maybe not,” she said. “And that’s the thing is you just don’t know.”

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

Olympian Clayton Yong and many others took part in a 6-mile run along the Jordan River Trail in Sou...

Alex Cabrero

Elite Running Program credited for producing Utah Olympians competing in 2024 Paris Games

Olympian Clayton Young credits his success to an increased emphasis on the running culture in Utah, and a big part of that is to the Elite Run Program.

10 hours ago

Taylorsville police vehicle (KSL TV)...

Mark Jones

Man arrested for allegedly kidnapping a 13-year-old and running over her brother with a car

A 18-year-old man was taken into custody Saturday by police for an allegedly kidnapping a 13-year-old girl.

11 hours ago

...

Mark Jones

Boy, 16, suffers leg injury after being struck by a boulder near Red Ledges

A 16-year-old boy suffered a serious leg injury after being struck by a boulder on Friday at Red Ledges Picnic Area in Utah County.

12 hours ago

A former Internal Revenue Service employee who lives in Utah was charged in federal court with abus...

Cassidy Wixom, KSL.com

Utahn who worked for IRS charged in federal court with trying to steal $2M

A former Internal Revenue Service employee who lives in Utah was charged in federal court with abusing his position to attempt to steal more than $2 million in tax credits.

13 hours ago

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints provided an update on the ongoing renovation projec...

Mark Jones

Church provides update on Temple Square construction progress

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Friday provided an update on the ongoing renovation project at Temple Square.

13 hours ago

The Little Twist wildfire grew to 1,000 acres on Saturday, June 15, 2024,  according to a news rele...

Mark Jones

Little Twist wildfire, southeast of Beaver, is now 1,000 acres in size

The Little Twist wildfire grew to 1,000 acres on Saturday, according to a news release from the Central Utah Fire Interagency.

15 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Photo courtesy of Artists of Ballet West...

Ballet West

The rising demand for ballet tickets: why they’re harder to get

Ballet West’s box office is experiencing demand they’ve never seen before, leaving many interested patrons unable to secure tickets they want.

Electrician repairing ceiling fan with lamps indoors...

Lighting Design

Stay cool this summer with ceiling fans

When used correctly, ceiling fans help circulate cool and warm air. They can also help you save on utilities.

Side view at diverse group of children sitting in row at school classroom and using laptops...

PC Laptops

5 internet safety tips for kids

Read these tips about internet safety for kids so that your children can use this tool for learning and discovery in positive ways.

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why printer security should be top of mind for your business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light up your home with these top lighting trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for hassle-free computer repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

Charging hoverboard to blame for Herriman house fire