Utahns donate blood to honor Martin Luther King Jr.
CLEARFIELD, Utah — To honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy, some Utahns gave the gift of life.
The city of Clearfield prides itself on having an army of volunteers, and on Monday, they turned out in full force at the North Davis Senior Activity Center, filling every single appointment to donate blood.
The need for blood is great right now.
“We’re at a 10-year low across the nation because of the pandemic,” Lynnette Hitt, who is with the American Red Cross, said.
People like Clearfield Mayor Mark Shepherd stepped up to help.
“I’ve got that blood type that they just want every time — O negative,” he said.
Jackie Smith is the project manager for Davis County AmeriCorps Seniors RSVP, a federal program that helps find volunteer opportunities for people 55 and older.
“We have all 41 of our appointments filled right now, so I’m super excited,” Smith said.
Organizers said this small act can go a long way.
“It’s a day of service, and I can’t think of much of a better way to serve than to give blood,” Shepherd said.
If you missed out on Monday’s blood drive in Clearfield, there are still plenty of opportunities across the state to donate. Visit the American Red Cross’ website for more information.
The American Red Cross requires people to register before donating blood.
Utahns can use the organization’s app to see how their blood donation is processed, where it’s stored and where it eventually ends up – including the location of the hospital.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 17246)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 12125)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10592)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 7906)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 4332)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2848)