Death date determined in police update on Moab double homicide
GRAND COUNTY, Utah— In an update from the Grand County Sheriff’s Office on the double homicide of Kylen Schulte and Crystal Turner, police narrowed the date of death to Aug. 14 and shared other details of the investigation.
The press release, sent out Thurday, also confirmed that there was no connection between the Gabby Petito/Brian Laundrie case and the double homicide of Schulte and Turner and provided an update on the investigation into the women’s deaths.
The document shared the Schulte and Turner were both found in an irrigation ditch west of their campsite in the South Mesa area of the LaSal mountains by a friend who had been searching for them on Aug. 18.
The Grand County Sheriff’s Office immediately secured the site, gathering evidence and shutting off water in the irrigation area. Evidence gathered at the scene included victims’ tent, personal belongings from the tent and car, blood, shell casings, bullet fragments, and video evidence from nearby properties.
According to the release, the State Medical Examiner conducted an autopsy on both victims and found the following: both victims had been shot multiple times, the shell casings and bullet fragments found on the scene were consistent with the wounds and evidence collected from both victims, and there was no sign of forcible sexual assault on either victim.
The FBI continues to participate in this investigation and Grand County Sheriff’s Office stated they have, “several persons of interest but has not yet identified a suspect.”
The release requested that the community of Moab be cautious in what information they shared on social media stating that “Such information seems to be misinformed, inaccurate, and unhelpful to the criminal investigation, if not dangerous.” Police advised anyone with information to contact the Grand County Sheriff’s Office at 435-259-8115.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9917)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7430)
- 18 new temples announced during October 2022 General Conference (pageviews: 4158)
- Live (pageviews: 3395)
- Weather officials warn of hazardous storm with hail, lighting, and 60mph winds in southern and eastern Utah (pageviews: 2952)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County (pageviews: 2084)