Draper City Council bans private events on much of the city’s trail system
DRAPER, Utah – Draper’s city council this week voted to nix hosting private events on much of the city’s trail system.
The vote comes as a slap-in-the-face to the sponsors of the Corner Canyon Half Marathon.
Last year, the KSL Investigators reported city officials shut down the half-marathon saying the trails were just too crowded.
Then, the city turned around and started hosting its own race. Now, the city council’s vote effectively ensures the city’s race never has to worry about competing with any private race organizer again.
The council voted that their trailways have “increased substantially in use,” leaving much of its trail system out-of-bounds to folks who want to organize a 5K, 10K, half marathon, or any kind of race.
It is an especially bitter pill for Don Hantla who had been hosting the Corner Canyon Half Marathon in Draper. In 2020, the events were canceled due to COVID-19. But in 2021, Don was forbidden from restarting his race.
“They voted to cancel these races because of trail usage,” said Hantla. “So, they said that the trails were too busy.”
Too busy for Hantla’s race but apparently not too busy for Draper City to organize its own half marathon and collect the profits themselves. Draper earned about $2,800 hosting their own half marathon in Corner Canyon last year. According to the city’s website, they will host another half marathon this coming summer.
“It’s just really hypocritical and quite an abuse of power, if you ask me,” said Hantla.
The city says their move is in response to the concerns of Draper City residents. Indeed, through a public records request, the KSL Investigators confirmed city officials heard a lot from people complaining about crowds and parking.”
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9917)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7430)
- 18 new temples announced during October 2022 General Conference (pageviews: 4158)
- Live (pageviews: 3395)
- Weather officials warn of hazardous storm with hail, lighting, and 60mph winds in southern and eastern Utah (pageviews: 2952)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County (pageviews: 2084)