Inmate worker at large after walking out of Utah County Jail
SPANISH FORK, Utah — Authorities are looking for a Utah County Jail inmate who they say walked away from his work program Saturday morning and is still at large.
Sgt. Spencer Cannon with the Utah County Sheriff’s Office told KSL TV that 36-year-old Tyler Leon Shepard works in the jail’s culinary program.
“There’s a lower level of security there,” he said.
They believe he walked out through the staff areas around 4:10 a.m.
“It wasn’t a fully-secured area that he walked away from,” Cannon explained.
Shepard is in the Utah County Jail for theft, assault and drug-related charges, according to Cannon.
“He’s certainly not the highest level of risk, but when people walk away from a program where they’re given trust and additional privileges, then they don’t want to get caught. So, there’s some level of risk, but not anything that we would pull all the stops on,” Cannon said.
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)