Two Utah National Guardsmen to compete in 2022 Winter Olympics
Two soldiers with the Utah National Guard Joint Force Headquarters will be competing in the 2022 Winter Olympic Games as part of the U.S. Olympic Nordic Combined Team.
Spc. Jasper Good, of Steamboat Springs, Colorado, and Spc. Benjamin Loomis of Eau Claire, Wisconsin, both earned spots to compete in Beijing, according to a press release from UNG.
“After both enlisting in 2019, Good is preparing to take another shot at Olympic gold in 2022 and Loomis has continued to pursue his Olympic goals as a Soldier-athlete. This will be both Loomis’ and Good’s second winter Olympic games, having previously competed in 2018 in Pyeongchang, South Korea,” read the release.
“I am incredibly honored and excited to be named to the 2022 U.S. Olympic Team,” Good said. “Representing Team USA at the Games means even more to me as a member of the U.S. Army World Class Athlete Program. The support and camaraderie I have gained has helped me reach new levels. It will be an honor to represent the U.S. I am really excited about how much progression our team has made and can’t wait to perform with my team in Beijing!”
Before the announcement was made Tuesday, the two soldiers spent time competing in the 2021-2022 FIS Nordic Combined World Cup in Europe.
Loomis, who is also a member of the U.S. Army World Class Athlete Program, was nominated to Team USA, the release stated, after finishing second at an Olympic qualification on Dec. 25, 2021, at Lake Placid.
“I am humbled and very proud to be representing the United States of America as both a Soldier and an athlete,” Loomis said. “Representing this country and the U.S. Army in Beijing is a true honor and something I hope will inspire future generations.”
The Beijing Winter Olympics officially begin Feb. 3.
Good and Loomis can be seen competing in Nordic events at the Kuyangshu Nordic Center and Biathlon Center on Feb. 9, 15 and 17.
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7943)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 6897)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5569)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 4499)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3945)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3255)