Cache County schools adjust schedules due to student, staff absenteeism
The Cache County School District has announced adjusted schedules for all of its schools due to “unprecedented student and staff absenteeism.”
District officials said they have seen daily student absentee rates of between 9% to 17% in elementary schools and 19% to 31% in middle and high schools due to cases of COVID-19, colds, flu and RSV.
“Our priority is to keep our schools open as we know that students learn better in person than online,” officials said. “Another priority is to ensure that our teachers have adequate time to prepare and to help students who are absent to catch up on their school work. This additional time for teachers will help us to accomplish both of these priorities. We will re-evaluate this schedule as conditions warrant.”
The shortened schedules begin Monday. District officials did not say when schedules would return to normal.
- Elementary schools: 9:05 a.m. to 2:50 p.m. (Monday-Friday)
- AM: 9:05 a.m. to 11:25 a.m.
- PM: 12:30 p.m. to 2:50 p.m.
- AM: 9:05 a.m. to 11:50 p.m.
- PM: 12:50 p.m. to 2:50 p.m.
- Middle schools: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Monday-Friday)
- High schools: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Monday-Friday)
Officials said K-8 afterschool programs will begin 45 minutes early and end at the same time, and extracurricular activity times will be adjusted as needed. Information will be provided through advisors and coaches.
“We recognize this will be a hardship for some families as they adjust schedules, but we hope parents will be understanding as we continue to provide the best educational experience we can for your children,” district officials said.
The Alpine School District also planned to shorten schools days but quickly reversed course Wednesday.
A district spokesperson said the motivation behind the proposed shorter days was also to address challenges with student absenteeism, staff shortages, and difficulty getting substitute teachers.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 8563)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3901)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 3445)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 2621)
- Alleged fraud committed by top leaders at Layton Christian Academy - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2604)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2477)