Layton man arrested after 13-year-old runaway found inside residence
LAYTON, Utah — A 22-year-old man was arrested Thursday after a 13-year-old girl, who authorities say was a runaway from Layton City, was allegedly found inside his place of residence.
Police responded to the residence on Jan. 27 after receiving information about the teen’s whereabouts.
When officers arrived, they could smell burnt marijuana while standing at the door, according to court documents.
“When the suspect answered the door, the odor was stronger and could be smelled coming from inside the residence,” read the probable cause statement.
Eric Curtis Ewell with the Layton Police Department wrote in the probable cause statement that the suspect was not cooperative in telling officers that the 13-year-old runaway was inside the residence.
As he was detained, two 9-year-old girls were also inside the residence, according to court documents.
Police then obtained a search warrant on the home.
“During the search of the home, officers located drug paraphernalia in the suspect’s room that was easily accessible to the two 9-year-old juveniles. The suspect’s door was open and unlocked, allowed reasonable access by anyone living in the house to his room,” the statement continued.
According to court documents, the suspect admitted to police in an interview that he knew the 13-year-old girl ran away from home and that he made no effort to reach out to her parents or law enforcement. He also told authorities he smokes marijuana, adding that he smoked it as recently as two days ago.
“He told me that he and the 13-year-old juvenile smoked the marijuana together,” Ewell wrote in the probable cause statement.
Edgar Urrutia-Gonzalez was booked into the Davis County Jail for investigation of several charges, including endangerment of a child or elder adult, a third-degree felony, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, unlawfully providing shelter to a runaway, and use or possession of drug paraphernalia.
- ‘Our worst fears': Kidnapped baby, parents, uncle found dead (pageviews: 6449)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6433)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 6050)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 5371)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3347)
- Father, son found dead inside West Jordan home (pageviews: 3137)