Forces for Good Award winners announced by Utah PTA
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah PTA has announced recipients of its first “Forces for Good Awards.”
• STUDENT: Sterling Brinkerhoff, a recent graduate from Spanish Fork High School, created an annual tradition at Spanish Fork High School of creating origami flowers, so each female student can receive one each Valentine’s Day.
• SCHOOL: Jolynne Ward, a hall monitor from Bingham High School, founded the Golden Gate Movement.
• COMMUNITY: Celeste Edmunds, executive director of the Christmas Box House, which is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year.
The accolades will be presented during the annual PTA Student Days at the Utah Capitol. Ceremonies are set for the Hall of Governors on Tuesday and Feb. 8 at 10:30 a.m. The gathering will include presentations by the honorees.
During the event, Jolynn Ward will present from 9-9:30 a.m. and 9:40-10:15 a.m., and Celest Edmunds will present from 11:10- 11:40 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. until 12:15 p.m.
Sterling Brinkerhoff will be teaching the students how to fold his origami flower at the end of the awards presentation, and the students will be encouraged to give them away as part of a scavenger quest.
On Tuesday, the Bingham High Choir will be performing two songs created for Golden Gate. On Feb. 8, Utah first lady Abby Cox will attend. Other scheduled activities for student days include tours of the capitol and a mock debate, assisting students in learning the process of a legislative bill going through the committee process.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)