Sandy police arrest man suspected of stealing Amazon van
SANDY, Utah — Police say they’ve caught their “Prime” suspect after an Amazon delivery van was stolen earlier this month.
Officials with the Sandy Police Department say Joshua Burgess, 30, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail Wednesday on charges of mail theft and theft of an operable vehicle.
According to court documents, Burgess stole the Amazon van on Jan. 7 while its driver was making deliveries near 620 East Stonefly Drive.
Police said Burgess slid his mask under his chin after he drove away in the van, and the vehicle’s dash camera took several pictures of Burgess.
The Amazon driver reported the theft and located the van a few blocks away, saying the suspect had fled the scene.
Police released the photos taken by the van’s dash camera and said investigators received several tips from the public, which led to Burgess being identified.
According to court documents, officers located Burgess Wednesday as he got into a vehicle in Kearns. Police said he jumped into the driver’s seat as two officers tried to take him into custody and put the car into reverse.
“(Burgess) appeared as though he was going to run over one police officer and then rammed into a police vehicle, before fleeing,” officers said.
Burgess later jumped from the moving vehicle following a pursuit, according to police, and he was taken into custody in the backyard of a West Valley City home.
Police added Burgess missed a drug court appearance earlier this week and ultimately had a warrant issued for his arrest.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10480)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 4695)
- Suspect arrested in connection to ritualistic child sex abuse investigation (pageviews: 4341)
- Three-vehicle crash closes Mountain View Corridor, one passenger ejected (pageviews: 3208)
- Rolling Stone releases list of 100 greatest TV shows of all-time (pageviews: 3123)