Tuesday morning snow caused dozens of crashes, closed I-215
SALT LAKE CITY – Snow impacted the morning commute and led to several crashes, mainly in Salt Lake County.
Roads were particularly bad on Northbound I-215 West. Crews shut it down for hours so that Utah Highway Patrol could clear out crashes and slide-offs.
“Over on 215, the west side of Salt Lake County has been an issue for us this morning,” said Sgt. Cameron Roden with Utah Highway Patrol.
Around 6 a.m. Tuesday Utah Highway Patrol reported approximately 20 cars involved in multiple crashes and slide-offs.
With the snow piling up, and traffic building, troopers had a tough time clearing them out.
They ended up closing Northbound I-215 West for several hours.
Slick roads and multiple crashes in Salt Lake and Davis Counties. Lane closures are in place on I-215 West side to clear out several crashes. Use caution and watch for first responders. pic.twitter.com/vcQtva5xI8
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) February 22, 2022
”With some of those blocking. Some of those being injuries that we’ve had to close it to be able to clear some of those crashes out,” said Sgt. Roden. “And so, we don’t have that problem continue and help keep everybody safe.”
From midnight through the morning commute, Utah Highway Patrol responded to 75 crashes with the majority in Salt Lake County. Davis County was a trouble spot as well.
“There has been a lot of moisture over the last couple of days and even though UDOT has been working on that, trying to get that cleared off, there’s still a lot of moisture with these cold temperatures,” said Roden.
Even though the snow has stopped for now, roads are still very slick. And with more snow in the forecast, Sgt. Roden reminded people to slow down and move over for troopers who are helping motorists on the side of the road.
“Speed is going to be really hard to be able to keep control on these slick roads. Give those officers, first responders, everyone there on scene as much space as they need. Help keep them safe as they’re out trying to keep the public safe.”
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 17246)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 12125)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10592)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 7906)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 4332)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2848)