Police: Hit-and-run suspect in custody after fleeing, hitting Farmington fire and police vehicles
FARMINGTON, Utah — Officers with the Farmington Police Department are investigating a hit-and-run crash that left one man injured Monday night.
Police say the incident started around 10 p.m. near 64 West Joy Drive, when witnesses reported two men were fighting.
One of the men was lying on grass in a park strip while the other got into a white sedan and struck the first man. Officers said the man who was struck was taken to an area hospital with minor injuries.
A few minutes later, police responded to a crash at 650 West State Street and said the vehicle fled from that scene as well.
State troopers then saw a vehicle matching the description from the hit-and-run and second crash driving erratically near Park Lane and Main Street, and troopers said they attempted to stop the vehicle.
However, the driver evaded troopers and later, turned off the vehicle’s lights and fled from a deputy with the Davis County Sheriff’s Office.
A Farmington fire truck was leaving the scene of the original auto-pedestrian crash when it was struck by the fleeing vehicle at 75 West and 200 South. The suspect continued toward the original crime scene when a Farmington police officer used his patrol vehicle to stop and disable the suspect’s vehicle near 350 South and 75 West.
The suspect, who was later identified as Sorano Otup, was then taken into custody and transported to an area hospital for evaluation.
According to court documents, officers read Otup his Miranda Rights and said Otup admitted to consuming a six-pack of beer before he left Salt Lake City and was drinking while driving. An officer said he located an open bottle Jack Daniels in the car.
Otup was booked into the Davis County Jail on multiple charges, including intoxication, DUI, failure to remain at the scene of an accident, reckless endangerment and not having a valid license.
If you have any information regarding this incident, police have asked that you contact Detective Candiotti at 801-451-5453 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7943)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 6897)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5569)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 4499)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3945)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3255)