SLC man robs business, threatens with axe police say
SALT LAKE CITY — A 36-year-old man was arrested after allegedly breaking into a business, armed with an axe, and stealing hundreds of dollars of merchandise according to Salt Lake City Police.
The man was identified as William Montero.
Police responded to a call at 5:03 a.m. on Monday to a report of a man, later identified as Montero, with an axe, breaking into a business near 450 South 500 East, and stealing merchandise. A store employee confronted Montero, and he fled.
Officers located Montero in the parking lot of a nearby business but he continued to flee officers until at one point he turned and began threatening officers with the axe and refusing to comply with commands to “peacefully surrender,” according to the statement.
At that point, officers deployed a taser to safely take Montero into custody.
No injuries were sustained by Montero, the responding officers, or store employees and police recovered several hundred dollars’ worth of store merchandise.
Montero was booked into the Salt Lake County Metro Jail on charges of: aggravated burglary, theft, failure to stop at the command of a police officer, aggravated assault on a police officer, criminal mischief, false information to a police officer, interference with a police officer, obstruction of justice, and possession of a weapon by a restricted person.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 24105)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 8038)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 6318)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 5386)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 3473)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3334)