Fruit Heights women prepare hundreds of hygiene kits for Ukrainian refugees
FRUIT HEIGHTS, Utah — A group of women who make up the Fruit Heights Stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is trying to ease the suffering of refugees in Ukraine.
They spent Thursday morning at their meetinghouse, assembling hygiene kits.
The labor of love grew in a matter of days – four to be exact.
“We were trying to do 180 kits for the 180th birthday of the Relief Society,” said Sydney Jones, a member of the Fruit Heights Stake Relief Society Presidency.
Lisa Meyer felt compelled to do more.
— Derek Petersen (@Derek_Photog) March 17, 2022
“On my way home from St. George, that Saturday on the shuttle I had this feeling that we need to do something bigger,” she said.
The ladies created an online sign-up sheet that day, and it took off.
“By 10:40 she called me and said half the slots were filled,” said Meyer.
They added more slots, and they went quick too. By the end of Thursday, they’ll have assembled at least 900 kits.
“Fruit Heights is called the city of good neighbors, and they’re living up to that name,” said Meyer.
Each kit is filled with the basics – shampoo, toothpaste, a washcloth, comb, toothbrush deodorant and a bar of soap.
The group, Lifting Hands International, will deliver them to Poland, Romania and Moldova.
“It’s gut-wrenching to see what’s going on. You feel completely helpless,” said Heidi Murdock.
With each box, the women of Fruit Heights send a piece of their love.
“Our hearts are hurting for you. I can’t even imagine.”
If you’re inspired to do your part beyond today, the ladies say there are plenty of opportunities listed on justserve.org.
- Utah teen dies after becoming trapped underneath sand in Kanab (pageviews: 14172)
- Jerry Bruckheimer addresses Johnny Depp’s future with ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ franchise – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 14014)
- Provo officer’s death recognized as line-of-duty from meth exposure 16 years later (pageviews: 6911)
- US reaches deal to reopen shuttered baby formula plant (pageviews: 5407)
- Big cross-border tunnel is found linking Tijuana to San Diego (pageviews: 4923)
- Pedestrian killed in Ogden crash (pageviews: 3920)