Suspect dead after carjacking, chase and officer-involved shooting in SLC
SALT LAKE CITY — One man has died after he stole a car and sped away from police before exchanging gunfire with officers, according to officials with the Salt Lake City Police Department.
The incident began just before 6 p.m. Saturday when a man attempted to carjack a vehicle near 600 South and Interstate 15. He was unsuccessful in his first attempt, but was in a second attempt while using a firearm, according to police.
“No community members were hurt during those incidents,” read part of a statement from the SLCPD. “After, the suspect fled officers in the stolen vehicle. We can confirm, at some point, shots were exchanged between the suspect and officers.”
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) March 27, 2022
No officers were injured during the shooting, which occurred in the area of 220 South and Orange Street, but the suspect died.
“Tonight, two of our officers found themselves facing great danger as they protected our community. I am grateful for their heroic actions,” said SLCPD Chief Mike Brown. “Our police officers reacted quickly and professionally to a public safety threat. Their actions demonstrated great courage and likely prevented any further injuries or violence in our community.”
The officers involved in the shooting have been placed on paid administrative leave, according to SLCPD Sgt. Mark Wian, and the Officer-Involved-Critical-Incident Protocol has been invoked.
Protocol Team 3 is currently investigating the incident.
Anyone who has photos, videos, or may have witnessed this incident has been asked to call SLC911 at 801-799-3000 and reference case 22-54268.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10480)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 4695)
- Suspect arrested in connection to ritualistic child sex abuse investigation (pageviews: 4341)
- A Spanish Fork high school homecoming dress code causes tension between students and faculty – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3477)
- Three-vehicle crash closes Mountain View Corridor, one passenger ejected (pageviews: 3208)
- Rolling Stone releases list of 100 greatest TV shows of all-time (pageviews: 3123)