Texas teen gifted new truck after getting caught in tornado
ELGIN, Texas — A 16-year-old Texan whose truck was severely damaged in a tornado last week has a brand-new ride, thanks to Chevrolet.
Riley Leon was driving home from a job interview at an Austin-area Whataburger restaurant when he got caught up in a tornado.
The now-viral video shows Riley’s old truck being flipped on its side and pushed around Highway 290 in the Austin suburb of Elgin.
— Brian Emfinger (@brianemfinger) March 22, 2022
After the storm, Chevrolet announced it would give Riley a new Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT All Star Edition — in Cherry Red, to match his old truck’s color.
“We are thankful Riley is safe, commend his driving skills during a frightening situation, and our hearts are with other families in Texas that have been affected by these storms,” Chevrolet’s Facebook post read. “To help aid the recovery efforts in Texas, Chevy Cares is donating $50,000 to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.”
Riley received the truck, along with $15,000 to help with expenses, at a Fort Worth, Texas, Chevrolet dealership on Saturday.
Riley told the dealership he did get the job at Whataburger, and he starts on Monday.
A GoFundMe* has been set up to help him with possible medical treatment. Nurse Bianca Jaimes said Riley returned to school following the incident, but he had to leave early due to back pain and body aches.
Jaimes said Riley’s mother told her he has a fractured back and will be under a doctor’s care. They will have to wait and see if he will need back surgery, and he may also need future therapy.
*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- Utah boy dies after falling off school slide (pageviews: 19686)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 9869)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 8132)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 7085)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 5854)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3704)