SLC Police identify suspect who was shot, killed following armed carjacking
SALT LAKE CITY — Police have released the name of the suspect who was shot and killed Saturday following an armed carjacking and chase in Salt Lake City.
Officials with the Salt Lake City Police Department identified the man Monday as 38-year-old Matthew Cieslak from Idaho.
We have identified the suspect in this case as 38-year-old Matthew Cieslak from Idaho.
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) March 28, 2022
The incident began just before 6 p.m. Saturday when Cieslak attempted to carjack a vehicle near 600 South and Interstate 15. He was unsuccessful in his first attempt, but was in a second attempt while using a firearm, according to police.
“No community members were hurt during those incidents,” read part of a statement from the SLCPD. “After, the suspect fled officers in the stolen vehicle. We can confirm, at some point, shots were exchanged between the suspect and officers.”
No officers were injured during the shooting, which occurred in the area of 220 South and Orange Street, but Cieslak died on scene.
According to SLCPD officials, the officers involved in the shooting have been placed on paid administrative leave, and the Officer-Involved-Critical-Incident Protocol has been invoked.
- High winds, heavy snow warning for ‘hazardous conditions’ Friday morning - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 31424)
- Body in Provo identified as jogger killed in hit-and-run (pageviews: 20372)
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil (pageviews: 6785)
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6168)
- Winter storm leads to messy morning commute; schools moving online, delaying starts - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5857)
- Lehi mom stranded in snowstorm grateful for help from unexpected stranger - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4471)