Many University of Utah parents struggling to find off-campus housing
SALT LAKE CITY — Housing placements at the University of Utah are starting to go out now. Still, several U. parents say waiting on the housing assignment is putting them in a tight spot, which is making the move to look off campus even more competitive.
Tabitha Hart, mom of a freshman at the U, learned this firsthand after her son got waitlisted for on-campus housing.
“As a parent, you start worrying and stressing. You want your child to have a place,” she said.
With no dice, they decided to try their luck off campus.
“Water being shut off, trash not being picked up — a nightmare for housing,” Hart said.
Sean Grube, executive director of housing and residential services, says on campus housing is tougher to come by as a result of the pandemic, including students who were taking a gap year now returning.
“Students have made different choices. Sometimes, we have deferrals of up to two years, so it makes it more competitive for sure,” Grube said.
Cindy Steinkamp, mom of a son at the U, says her family felt the pinch finding off-campus housing.
“You know, duke it out for who was going to get the house,” Steinkamp said.
While there is a difference between new students and returning students, Grube said it really comes down to the 4,500 beds on campus they have to work with.
“We don’t have enough beds to house everybody, and so it is that kind of priority base. You’re in a lottery to get the best spot you can,” Grube said.
April 1 is the priority date for housing.
Grube said applying by that date gives a student the best chance of scoring their desired on-campus housing.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 21340)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 8551)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 7157)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 6307)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5572)
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 3940)