Dedicated spaces help children fight emotional and developmental blocks
CLEARFIELD – Kids are fighting social, emotional, and developmental monsters like never before.
The pandemic has changed routines, and, as a result, interrupted social, emotional and personal development for many. In Clearfield, Cornerstone Academy is aiming to equip kids through a “focus room” that channels the five senses to help kids back to a sense of calm.
Cornerstone Academy’s Chief Operating Officer, Ava Jacklin, said the space is designated for kids 5 to 12 in a school setting struggling behaviorally, socially, and emotionally.
“It doesn’t mean we’re not frustrated, or we’re never angry. We can have all of those, what we term as negatives, but we can learn how to manage in a manageable way,” Jacklin said. The focus room is a new space created a little over a month ago.
Sensory just helps them calm that nervous system enough that they can tap into the “why” a little bit better. The room also encourages kids to just be kids, with sensory items like finger puppets, slinky toys, as well as interactive lights and sounds.
Across the hall, is a mindfulness space. The space is to create a sense of calm for young adults and adults. The mindfulness space includes massage chairs as well as areas to rest and dim the lights before entering a therapy session.
The idea is by keeping the mind at rest, people become their best. Cornerstone Academy currently works alongside Davis County School District. Jacklin said they hope to partner more with Weber County School District.
If you think your child may be a good fit for Cornerstone Academy and the available sensory room, Jacklin encourages you to contact Northern Utah Counseling.
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16465)
- 8-year-old girl dies after Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8845)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 8387)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8196)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7811)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6345)