Avenues business owner thankful for community support after fire destroys salon
SALT LAKE CITY — A small business owner in the Salt Lake City Avenues is left picking up the pieces after his salon burned down.
Dave Holland, owner of Bauhaus Salon, said he received a concerning call from a friend who saw his salon on fire.
“When I first got the phone call I thought, ‘Well, put it out,’” Holland said.
The fire on March 27 quickly spread through the attic of the shop, located at 480 East 6th Ave. The salon was closed at the time.
Fire investigators are still looking into what caused the fire, along with the amount of damage it caused.
Holland is heartbroken that his dream business went up in flames, especially after having to shut down throughout the pandemic.
“It’s unbelievable, we were really just getting our feet under us and now this just came out of nowhere,” he said. “We just wanted it to be a place people felt comfortable just to come make themselves feel good.”
He said the incident left his employees, many of them single moms, scrambling to find work. Thankfully through the kindness of other local salon owners, his stylists have been able to find temporary work.
“They have all called to ask what they can do and it’s literally been the only thing that has kept me going,” he said. “It takes a community to keep a small business going and we have seen it both in word and action.”
As of Tuesday, people have donated over $21,000 through a GoFundMe* account to help Holland and his team get through this difficult time. He said the community support has been overwhelming as he tries to figure out what to do next.
“It’s because of that I’m even able to get up and put my boots back on and start another day,” Holland said.
*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 12623)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as 'the life of the party' (pageviews: 8243)
- Netflix’s ‘Falling for Christmas’ filmed at these charming Utah locations - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6214)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as ‘the life of the party’ - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5376)
- Utah family gets 'a measure of justice' in 50-year-old rape case (pageviews: 5319)
- Man arrested for breaking into Provo temple, claiming he was just cold, police say (pageviews: 4730)