UDOT thanks state trooper who intercepted car in active construction zone
DAVIS COUNTY, UTAH — Officials with the Utah Department of Transportation say a Utah Highway Patrol trooper’s actions protected a construction crew that was working on Interstate 15.
UDOT says on April 2, UHP Lt. Jacob Cox was working a special shift in the construction zone on southbound I-15 between 700 South and Antelope Drive.
“Utah Highway Patrol troopers regularly work special shifts to protect construction crews on Utah’s highways,” UDOT officials said.
Only the far left lane was open to give construction crews sufficient space to work at the time. Officials said cars often enter the construction zone, especially construction vehicles or workers in personal vehicles who are arriving on site.
“The difference between them and the driver early Saturday morning is that she didn’t respond as Lt. Cox turned on his siren and headlights,” UDOT said.
As Cox tried to intercept the car, it moved into the No. 2 lane — the lane Cox said he last remembered seeing the concrete cutter.
So he turned his patrol car and collided with the driver, putting his vehicle’s right front corner to her right front corner.
“The impact spun Cox’s vehicle around. Inside his vehicle, his radio and body cam were knocked off. Airbags went off in both vehicles,” officials said. “This incident happened in less than 30 seconds.”
Troopers said the driver was taken into custody on suspicion of DUI after a preliminary test detected the presence of alcohol.
Investigators awaiting the final results of a blood analysis.
— Utah DOT (@UtahDOT) April 12, 2022
- 17-year-old boy died by suicide hours after being 'sextorted' (pageviews: 39963)
- Friends remember mom, tattoo artist shot and killed in Pleasant Grove (pageviews: 16046)
- Man fatally shot on front porch in Springville, suspect identified at police department (pageviews: 5000)
- Man flown to hospital in South Jordan skydiving accident (pageviews: 4516)
- Man identified in Springville shooting of teen – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3789)
- Two dead, three hospitalized after a North Ogden pursuit (pageviews: 3736)