LOCAL NEWS

Utah family watches home burn 16 years after similar tragedy

Apr 14, 2022, 10:54 AM | Updated: Jun 20, 2022, 1:14 pm

HUNTSVILLE, Utah — A Utah family had to watch in the cold dark this week as a fire gutted their home, forced to remember when they faced similar events in 2006 in the same spot.

“I escaped in a pair of pajamas 16 years ago and that’s what I was wearing last night,” resident Dave Jenkins said. “The house that stood here before this house, well, it got enflamed and burned down.”

Jenkins and his wife had gone to bed when they realized there were flames in their home. They called for help and fire crews responded but could not save the home. Jenkins said this blaze started in the chimney as one member of the household was going to have enjoy a fire in the fireplace and watch television that evening.

A Huntsville, Utah house fire was a total loss for the Jenkins family on April 13, 2022. (Weber Fire District) A Huntsville, Utah house fire was a total loss for the Jenkins family on April 13, 2022. (Weber Fire District) A Huntsville, Utah house fire was a total loss for the Jenkins family on April 13, 2022. (Weber Fire District) A Huntsville, Utah house fire was a total loss for the Jenkins family on April 13, 2022. (Weber Fire District) A Huntsville, Utah house fire was a total loss for the Jenkins family on April 13, 2022. (Weber Fire District) A Huntsville, Utah house fire was a total loss for the Jenkins family on April 13, 2022. (Weber Fire District) A Huntsville, Utah house fire was a total loss for the Jenkins family on April 13, 2022. (Weber Fire District) A Huntsville, Utah house fire was a total loss for the Jenkins family on April 13, 2022. (Weber Fire District)(Weber Fire District) A Huntsville, Utah house fire was a total loss for the Jenkins family on April 13, 2022. (Weber Fire District) A Huntsville, Utah house fire was a total loss for the Jenkins family. (Weber Fire District) A Huntsville, Utah house fire was a total loss for the Jenkins family on April 13, 2022. (Weber Fire District)

Instead flames were in the chimney, exiting by the mantel, starting the blaze that claimed the home and virtually everything in it. Jenkins doesn’t believe the home is cursed but he joked with his wife there wouldn’t be a fireplace in their next home.

“How do I feel? Overwhelmed,” he said Wednesday.

Weber Fire District Deputy Chief David Reed said crews from multiple departments were dispatched to the home, located near 7500 East and 200 South, around 12:30 a.m. Crews saw the roof was fully engulfed with flames and part of the roof had already collapsed into the structure.

All of the home’s occupants were safely evacuated as firefighters went defensive from the outside until they could contain it. Jenkins said firefighters had trouble getting water from hydrants in the neighborhood.

The family said it rebuilt after the previous fire and will do that again.

“Obviously we’re not going to leave a smoking hole in the ground.”

They also had positive things happen in the midst of a terrible tragedy. They were able to get a hard drive out of the home that contains all the family’s photos and Jenkins said the people in the community have put the family on their backs.

“Instead of it being a tragedy, maybe it was an opportunity,” Jenkins said.

A GoFundMe account has been started to help the family recover from the blaze. You can see it at: https://gofund.me/04d6bbda

*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.

KSL 5 TV Live

Top Stories

Local News

(KSL TV)...
Eliza Pace

Utah House votes to ban transgender surgeries for minors

A transgender healthcare bill banning transgender surgeries and puberty blockers for minors passed in the House Thursday afternoon.
15 hours ago
...
Tamara Vaifanua

Utah council to release draft showing gondola’s role in transportation plan

Talks are moving forward Thursday afternoon on the proposal to build a gondola in Little Cottonwood Canyon.
15 hours ago
(Utah Department of Public Safety)...
Madison Swenson

Helicopter rescues 2 from Subway area of Zion National Park

Two hikers were rescued from a remote part of Zion National Park over the weekend after they were stranded outside for more than 24 hours.
15 hours ago
police cars lined up by school...
Brooke Williams

UPDATE: Students released after shots fired at Taylorsville High School

Gunshots were fired in the parking lot of Taylorsville High School Thursday afternoon.
15 hours ago
Utah Capitol in Salt Lake City is pictured on Sunday, Sept. 11, 2022. (Scott G Winterton, Deseret N...
Madison Swenson

Utah Senate votes to pass school voucher bill

The Utah Senate has voted and passed HB215, which would give teachers a pay raise and give money to students in home study or private schools.
15 hours ago
...
Matt Gephardt and Cindy St. Clair

AmeriGas customers nationwide Get Gephardt after waiting weeks for propane

Calls to Get Gephardt have come from across the country, all having the same problem: missing propane deliveries. So, where’s the gas?
15 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Fiber Optical cables connected to an optic ports and Network cables connected to ethernet ports...
Brian Huston, CE and Anthony Perkins, BICSI

Why Every Business Needs a Structured Cabling System

A structured cabling system benefits businesses by giving you faster processing speeds and making your network more efficient and reliable.
notebook with password notes highlighted...
PC Laptops

How to Create Strong Passwords You Can Actually Remember

Learn how you can create strong passwords that are actually easy to remember! In a short time you can create new ones in seconds.
house with for rent sign posted...
Chase Harrington, president and COO of Entrata

Top 5 Reasons You May Want to Consider Apartment Life Over Owning a Home

There are many benefits of renting that can be overshadowed by the allure of buying a home. Here are five reasons why renting might be right for you.
Festive kitchen in Christmas decorations. Christmas dining room....
Lighting Design

6 Holiday Decor Trends to Try in 2022

We've rounded out the top 6 holiday decor trends for 2022 so you can be ahead of the game before you start shopping. 
Happy diverse college or university students are having fun on their graduation day...
BYU MBA at the Marriott School of Business

How to Choose What MBA Program is Right for You: Take this Quiz Before You Apply!

Wondering what MBA program is right for you? Take this quiz before you apply to see if it will help you meet your goals.
Diverse Group of Energetic Professionals Team Meeting in Modern Office: Brainstorming IT Programmer...
Les Olson

Don’t Let a Ransomware Attack Get You Down | Protect Your Workplace Today with Cyber Insurance

Business owners and operators should be on guard to protect their workplace. Cyber insurance can protect you from online attacks.
Utah family watches home burn 16 years after similar tragedy