LOCAL NEWS

Utah family watches home burn 16 years after similar tragedy

Apr 14, 2022, 10:54 AM | Updated: Jun 20, 2022, 1:14 pm

HUNTSVILLE, Utah — A Utah family had to watch in the cold dark this week as a fire gutted their home, forced to remember when they faced similar events in 2006 in the same spot.

“I escaped in a pair of pajamas 16 years ago and that’s what I was wearing last night,” resident Dave Jenkins said. “The house that stood here before this house, well, it got enflamed and burned down.”

Jenkins and his wife had gone to bed when they realized there were flames in their home. They called for help and fire crews responded but could not save the home. Jenkins said this blaze started in the chimney as one member of the household was going to have enjoy a fire in the fireplace and watch television that evening.

Instead flames were in the chimney, exiting by the mantel, starting the blaze that claimed the home and virtually everything in it. Jenkins doesn’t believe the home is cursed but he joked with his wife there wouldn’t be a fireplace in their next home.

“How do I feel? Overwhelmed,” he said Wednesday.

Weber Fire District Deputy Chief David Reed said crews from multiple departments were dispatched to the home, located near 7500 East and 200 South, around 12:30 a.m. Crews saw the roof was fully engulfed with flames and part of the roof had already collapsed into the structure.

All of the home’s occupants were safely evacuated as firefighters went defensive from the outside until they could contain it. Jenkins said firefighters had trouble getting water from hydrants in the neighborhood.

The family said it rebuilt after the previous fire and will do that again.

“Obviously we’re not going to leave a smoking hole in the ground.”

They also had positive things happen in the midst of a terrible tragedy. They were able to get a hard drive out of the home that contains all the family’s photos and Jenkins said the people in the community have put the family on their backs.

“Instead of it being a tragedy, maybe it was an opportunity,” Jenkins said.

A GoFundMe account has been started to help the family recover from the blaze. You can see it at: https://gofund.me/04d6bbda

*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.

KSL 5 TV Live

Top Stories

Local News

Hundreds of protesters marched in Provo for abortion rights....
KEVIN McGILL, AMY FORLITI and GEOFF MULVIHILL Associated Press

Supreme Court’s abortion ruling sets off new court fights

Judges have temporarily blocked abortion bans in Louisiana and Utah, while a federal court in South Carolina said a law sharply restricting the procedure would take effect there immediately.
19 hours ago
FILE: Utah State Representative Phil Lyman, R-Blanding talks with KSL about the restitution order a...
McKenzie Romero, Deseret News & Ladd Egan, KSL-TV

GOP lawmaker alleges fraud in Utah primary election. State says otherwise

A Utah GOP lawmaker posted election fraud claims in their primary election on social media, only for state officials to debunk the claims.
19 hours ago
Juliet Nielsen was eager to welcome her fourth child into the world when a checkup flagged a proble...
Michael Locklear, KSL TV

Why this mom’s abortion decision challenged her family’s religious beliefs

A mother of three is sharing her heartbreaking experience of losing a baby. She hopes her personal story will encourage compassion, pointing out that abortion decisions are nuanced.
19 hours ago
(Jed Boal/KSL TV)...
Jed Boal

Travel experts: Give yourself extra time to avoid airport delays

If you’re flying for your long-awaited vacation this summer, or any trip, brace yourself for potential delays and cancellations.
19 hours ago
FILE (Photo by David Dee Delgado/Getty Images)...
Michael Houck

Layton boy hit by pizza delivery car; airlifted to hospital

A 7-year-old boy is recovering after being hit by a pizza delivery car Sunday evening.
19 hours ago
Mike Dbeisi and Austin Smith are avid outdoor enthusiasts and emergency room doctors with Intermoun...
Ken Fall

How to enjoy Utah’s mountain bike trails safely this summer

Utah is known for outdoor sports, but they don’t come without risk. Two Intermountain ER doctors share their advice for anyone looking to mountain bike in the backcountry.
19 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

hand holding 3d rendering mobile connect with security camera for security solutions...
Les Olson

Wondering what security solutions are right for you? Find out more about how to protect your surroundings

Physical security helps everyone. Keep your employees, clients, and customers safe with security solutions that protect your workplace.
Many rattan pendant lights, hay hang from the ceiling.Traditional and simple lighting....
Lighting Design

The Best Ways to Style Rattan Pendant Lighting in Your Home

Rattan pendant lights create a rustic and breezy feel, and are an easy way to incorporate this hot trend into your home decor.
Earth day 2022...
1-800-GOT-JUNK?

How Are You Celebrating Earth Day 2022? | 4 Simple Ways to Celebrate Earth Day and Protect the Environment

Earth Day is a great time to reflect on how we can be more environmentally conscious. Here are some tips for celebrating Earth Day.
Get Money Online...

More Ways to Get Money Online Right Now in Your Spare Time

Here are 4 easy ways that you can get more money online if you have some free time and want to make a little extra on the side.
Lighting trends 2022...

Lighting Trends 2022 | 5 Beautiful Home Lighting Trends You Can Expect to See this Year and Beyond

This is where you can see the latest lighting trends for 2022 straight from the Lightovation Show at the Dallas World Trade Center.
What Can't You Throw Away in the Trash...

What Can’t You Throw Away in the Trash? | 5 Things You Shouldn’t Throw in to Your Trash Can

What can't you throw away in the trash? Believe it or not, there are actually many items that shouldn't be thrown straight into the trash.
Utah family watches home burn 16 years after similar tragedy