Inflation squeezes popular Salt Lake restaurant
SALT LAKE CITY — Gas, food, labor: You name it and you’ll find inflation has hit wallets seemingly everywhere you turn.
It’s no surprise then that restaurant owners are feeling the pinch firsthand, as dishing out high-quality food comes with a high price tag.
Blue Iguana in Salt Lake City is one of the restaurants that is feeling inflation.
German Beltran, Blue Iguana’s general manager, said he’s worked there for more than 10 years. He said while inflation makes it touch, he realizes consistency is key for customers who keep coming back.
“It is very hard, because the meat, for example, you can get the meat in one day, like two dollars. The next day, it’s four or five dollars,” Beltran said.
He said the last thing he wants to do is raise menu prices.
Gas, food, labor: You name it.
Inflation is there.
No surprise then restaurant owners are feeling the pinch, too.
— Karah Brackin (@KB_ON_TV) April 18, 2022
So far, Blue Iguana hasn’t had to, but with ongoing inflation, raising prices may be inevitable.
Blue Iguana’s owner said the local vendors they use are raising prices at least 15% across the board.
In addition, they are having to pay staff two to five dollars more an hour to keep up with competition.
“You don’t do that and people will start looking for another job,” Beltran said.
He said they won’t compromise on quality.
“They expect the best of the best,” he added.
For the last couple of years, Salt Palace Convention Center has been closed due to the pandemic. This year, though, its doors will be back open.
Blue Iguana’s owner said this is a good thing for their business, particularly with their location, because when the Salt Palace Convention Center is open, their business tends to boom.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 24105)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 8038)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 6318)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 5386)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 3473)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3334)