Motorcyclist fatally hits Draper pedestrian after he tried to slow them down
DRAPER, Utah — A motorcyclist hit a male pedestrian around 9 p.m. Monday, according to Lt. Pat Evans with the Draper Police Department.
James Mair, 43, attempted to slow down the 19-year-old male driver by stepping into the road near 900 East Rosefield Lane, Evans said.
“The motorcyclist, at this point, we don’t know if [he] just didn’t see Mr. Mair, but he collided with Mr. Mair.”
“JD was an amazing individual”
Family and friends remember 43-year-old JD Mair who died after being hit by a motorcycle Monday night.
— Ladd Egan (@laddegan) April 19, 2022
Witnesses also told police the driver was speeding on the roadway.
Mair was transported to an area hospital with critical injuries and died Tuesday morning. He was a husband and a father to five children.
“He was the guy in the kitchen doing the dishes. He was the guy making the food. He was the guy coming in and telling his dear wife, ‘Take a load off, I’m home,’” brother-in-law Clay Ah Quin said. “He lived for his kids. He lived for his wife. They were everything to him.”
“He exemplified service each and every day of his life,” said neighbor Bryce Davies. “You just don’t get any better than JD.”
Evans said the investigation is ongoing and there are no signs of DUI.
“In this case, what complicates this is the gentleman went out into the road.”
The motorcyclist was also transported with non-life-threatening injuries, but has since been released.
If you wish to donate to Mair’s memorial fund, you can go to their GoFundMe* page.
Mair’s family also shared a statement with KSL:
“JD was an Amazing Husband, Father, Brother, Son and Uncle. In his short 43 years he touched so many people. His ability to serve EVERYONE around him and never think of himself was what made him who he was. He LIVED FOR HIS KIDS AND WIFE, THEY WERE HIS EVERYTHING. We Love you JD, YOU WILL BE MISSED!!!!
Thank you for all the LOVE AND SUPPORT, WE CAN DEFINITELY FEEL THE LOVE!!!
Clay Ah Quin (Jds BIL)”
*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7943)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 6897)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5569)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 4499)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3945)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3255)