Timpanogos Cave National Monument celebrates 100 years this spring
Timpanogos Cave National Monument will be celebrating 100 years by offering a variety of cave tours beginning on May 18.
“We are excited to celebrate the centennial of Timpanogos Cave National Monument! Over the last 100 years, there is a tradition of many families coming to see the cave, communities that have supported the success of the park, and decades of bringing people together. We honor everyone that has worked here and hiked to the caves and we invite you back to celebrate with us all year long,” Cami McKinney, Acting Superintendent of Timpanogos Cave National Monument said.
Events at the park include:
- Daily lantern cave tours
- New exhibits in the visitor center, community history
- 100 hike challenge for those who can hike the trail 100 times
- Star Parties in summer
- Various free Saturday programs for kids and families,
- Arts in the Park event,
- Centennial birthday party on October 14, 2022.
The monument was created on October 14th 1922.
President Warren G. Harding signed the proclamation creating the park to protect the caves for their “unusual scientific interest.”
According to a release from the park, “The creation of the park came through the preservation efforts of many people from American Fork, Lehi, Pleasant Grove, Highland and other Utah Valley citizens. Tours began in the spring of 1922 with visitors initially only visiting Timpanogos Cave but later in 1939, tours were expanded through the development of tunnels that would include Hansen Cave and Middle Cave. Visiting the caves has been extremely popular for both local, national, and international visitors throughout its 100-year history.”
Details about ticket purchases, tour schedules, and other programs are available on the park website at www.nps.gov/tica.
- 19-year-old dies at hospital following crash in Uintah County (pageviews: 15643)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 11669)
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 10835)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8469)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7504)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 7233)