Witness: Fight led to fatal stabbing in middle of West Valley City apartment complex
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — West Valley City police are investigating a fatal stabbing that took place in an apartment complex Saturday night, that they said ended with the stabbing victim asking a nearby resident for help before he died.
Joshua, a man who lives at Aspenwood Apartments, described seeing a fight break out as he stood outside.
He said two men were fighting in front of a nearby building, including a neighbor he recognized.
“I watched the first of the scuffle happen right there over by the mailboxes across the street,” Joshua said. “And then after that it kind of sort of got drove inside I guess, and like two minutes after that there were police on the way. So, it all happened really quick.”
Josh, who didn’t want to use his last name, didn’t see what happened after that.
But officers with the West Valley City Police Department indicated that others did.
“It sounded like the male who was stabbed, went knocking on the apartment where he was found,” said WVCPD Lt. Robert Brinton. “Those individuals opened the door, let him in and they’re the ones who called 911.”
Police said the man passed away at the hospital from several stab wounds.
Not even an hour later, another call came in from a house just around the corner from the apartment complex on Trinity Avenue, of a shooting and stabbing.
“We found one male outside of the residence with a gunshot wound and another male inside the residence with several stab wounds. We also found a female who was hysterical and couldn’t get a lot of information out of her,” Brinton said.
Those two men are alive, police said, and the woman is in custody.
They’re now investigating both incidents, saying they aren’t related, and trying to figure out what unfolded.
Joshua isn’t sure if his neighbor is the one who died.
“I just don’t know who got stabbed in the confrontation,” he said.
He’s hoping police can soon explain in more detail what happened.
KSL 5 TV Live
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces temple groundbreakings (pageviews: 136150)
- Police: Hoax targets several Utah schools with fake shooting threats (pageviews: 26200)
- DNA analysis of Beethoven's hair reveals health issues, family secret (pageviews: 9800)
- Crews recover body of missing snowmobiler who was buried in Utah County avalanche (pageviews: 9341)
- 3 killed in multi-vehicle crash; NB I-15 closed for several hours in Box Elder County (pageviews: 9283)
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts (pageviews: 6559)