7-foot sinkhole from SLC water main swallows car; water service restored along 1300 South
SALT LAKE CITY — Officials said a 7-foot sinkhole swallowed one vehicle early Tuesday after a water main break flooded four homes and closed part of 1300 South.
Capt. Shaun Mumedy with the Salt Lake City Fire Department says they received a call for the “significant” break around 5:30 a.m. Tuesday.
👀 Here’s what things look like:
– Firefighters say they’re walking through about 18 in of water right now.
– We’re told Red Cross is going to be helping families find a place to stay.
— Karah Brackin (@KB_ON_TV) May 3, 2022
City officials say 1300 South is closed between 700 and 800 West while crews work to repair the 16″ line.
No injuries have been reported, and Mumedy confirmed the sinkhole swallowed one vehicle.
It belonged to Flavio Hernandez who lives in one of the flooded homes with his family, grandparents, and aunt.
“Way too much damage,” said Hernandez. “Disappeared in a couple minutes. Dodge Delivery, nothing fancy but I have a newborn, and that’s my only transportation.”
Ryan Mellor, Battalion Chief of Salt Lake City Fire Department said this was the first time he’s ever seen a sinkhole like this.
“Now you see it. Now you don’t,” said Mellor.
Salt Lake City crews were working to drain the sinkhole and repair the line, which was constructed in the 1940s.
The car was removed before 11 a.m. Tuesday, and crews restored water service to area residents around 8 p.m.
Update: Our teams restored water to residents on 1300 S @ 8 pm last night. They placed new waterline & 60' of sewer pipe overnight. 1300 S @ 700 W stays closed today for ongoing restoration. @LBriefer @slcmayor @slcCouncil @SLCgov @KSLTraffic @fox13 @abc4utah @KUTV2News @KSL5TV
— SLC Department of Public Utilities (@SLCPU) May 4, 2022
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 5101)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 4500)
- Utah man arrested, charged with possessing fentanyl with intent to distribute (pageviews: 2760)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 2490)
- Passenger dead after attempting to move crashed truck on SR-89 (pageviews: 2389)
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 2147)