5-year-old hit and killed by mail truck
SANDY, Utah — A 5-year-old girl has died after being hit and killed by a USPS truck, Sandy Police confirmed.
The accident happened around 10:45 a.m. Tuesday at the corner of Woodchuck Way and Quail Run Drive.
Sandy Police said the US Postal Service truck had just turned the corner off of Woodchuck Way in front of the girl’s home and struck the child who was in the roadway with her scooter.
“The 53-year-old driver of the vehicle did remain on scene and is cooperating with the investigation of this tragic accident,” said Lt. Dean Carriger.
Lt. Carriger says at this point, speed and impairment do not appear to be factors in this deadly crash.
Sandy Police currently investigating fatal auto-ped accident 9300 block Blossomwood Cir involving a 5 yr old child and a USPS vehicle. The driver remained on scene and is cooperating. Initial investigation – speed or impairment not a contributing factor in the collision.
— Sandy Police (@Sandy_Police) May 3, 2022
“However, the team is here to determine what the contributing factors are,” he said.
On scene, Lt. Carriger made a public plea for drivers to pay attention.
“We just want our drivers out there to be mindful as they’re navigating neighborhoods especially as spring and summer approaching and more children are going to be out but if you are out in the roadway be cognizant of vehicles as well,” he said.
- WATCH LIVE: Warriors Over The Wasatch (pageviews: 12560)
- Live (pageviews: 6781)
- WATCH LIVE: Warriors Over The Wasatch – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6738)
- Flood watch over popular Utah recreation areas Sunday (pageviews: 4740)
- AIR SHOW: What to bring, what to leave at home and how to get there (pageviews: 3594)
- At least 2 injured after semi hauling beehives tips on I-80 (pageviews: 3326)