Imagine Dragons, Zions Bank surprise Velour owner with paid-off mortgage
PROVO, Utah — Provo’s iconic Velour Live Music Galley celebrated its 16th anniversary on Thursday, and one of the biggest groups to grace its stage has helped ensure its survival.
Imagine Dragons’ lead singer Dan Reynolds surprised Velour owner Corey Fox with a “paid in full” mortgage note, just over a year after learning Fox was struggling to make payments during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“I don’t think we’d be a band were it not for Corey Fox and Velour,” Reynolds said. “Corey has always believed in young artists and provided a refuge for them to be around other artists. This is the least we could do to help him through a challenging time.”
Four years after receiving a life-saving kidney transplant, Fox found himself in a fight to save his venue as the pandemic cleared Velour’s schedule — but not its bills.
Imagine Dragons and Zions Bank announced the “Free the Fox” campaign to save the Velour at Fork Fest Music Festival in June 2021, encouraging patrons to drop cash in buckets or donate through Venmo.
Later last summer, Imagine Dragons livestreamed a benefit concert with Neon Trees, which also got its start in Provo.
Zions Bank promised to match up to $50,000 of the funds raised, and the combined total was enough to pay off Fox’s mortgage.
“Velour has done so much to help build a vibrant downtown and put Provo on the music map,” said Zions Bank regional manager Nick Whiting. “Zions Bank is proud to support the generous efforts of Imagine Dragons, Neon Trees, and so many community members to preserve this local treasure. It’s important that as a community we continue to show up for Velour so it can keep delivering great music and launching great bands like Imagine Dragons.”
The 16th anniversary show included performances by the Devil Whale, Josiah Johnson and John White. Reynolds also surprised the crowd with two songs, including Imagine Dragons’ “Believer.”
- 8-year-old girl dies after Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 17916)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16520)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 8565)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8196)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7815)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6068)