Utah teen dies after becoming trapped underneath sand in Kanab
KANAB, Utah — A 13-year-old boy has died after authorities say he became trapped underneath the sand at Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park on Saturday.
Park rangers were notified about the incident around 5:30 p.m., according to Utah State Parks.
“Park rangers believe he had been digging a tunnel in the side of a sand dune when it unexpectedly collapsed with him inside,” stated a release from the agency Monday afternoon.
A family member who witnessed the collapse told nearby visitors and state park staff what had occurred. They, along with a state park law enforcement ranger and deputies with the Kane County Sheriff’s Office, immediately began digging.
Ian Spendlove, of Santa Clara, Utah, was recovered around 5:53 p.m. Park officials say he was approximately 6.5-feet beneath the sand.
First responders immediately began CPR. After a pulse had been detected, Spendlove was flown in a medical helicopter to St. George Regional Hospital and then to Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City.
“Unfortunately, on Sunday, Spendlove had not regained brain activity and was declared dead,” stated the release.
The incident remains under investigation, according to Utah State Parks.
“With the recreation season now underway, Utah State Parks would like to remind everyone that while Utah’s outdoors are beautiful places to explore, safety needs to be a top priority. Always recreate with a buddy, wear your life jackets and helmets, and always let somebody know where you are going and when to expect your return,” concluded the release.
Click here for more safety tips.
- Utah police ask for help locating suspect in Amazon robbery (pageviews: 3523)
- Real Housewives of SLC Jennie Nguyen no longer cast member after 'offensive' social media posts (pageviews: 3509)
- Body found in Jordan River, police investigating (pageviews: 3503)
- 3x Region Champs, North Sanpete drill coaches go viral in video (pageviews: 3387)
- Wednesday's Child: Creative 13-year-old Kaydee hopes to find forever family (pageviews: 2864)
- Sewage provides alternative insight into COVID-19 surge direction (pageviews: 2841)