Utah mothers begin to feel pinch of formula shortage
SALT LAKE CITY — The baby formula shortage here in Utah remains in a crisis situation for many mothers. Especially for those mothers who are looking for a specific kind of formula.
“It’s completely gone,” Silvie Hull told KSL TV.
Silvie is the mother of nine month old Hendrix and cannot find the formula he takes that doesn’t upset his stomach. So she’s had to resort to another formula and only has a small can and a half of it in her home.
“He’s up all night we can’t put him to sleep. He cries while I’m at work. He will just scream, he won’t take it,” she said.
That’s why Hull has family and friends all helping in the search for family.
“I have friends calling out of state to their friends, my sister and brother went to Davis county this morning and there was none,” she said.
“It’s been really scary,” said Tricia Farnes the mother of seven week old Micall. Farnes has also instigated the help of family and friends in the hunt for formula. And it’s working.
“Parents involved, in-laws involved. I have a sister-in-law who her mom is involved to try and help us. We have a friend group and all of us are talking daily of where we are able to find it,” said Farnes.
Miranda Reynolds is the health program coordinator for WIC and a registered dietician. On Monday the program released tips for helping in the search. Those include:
- Talk to your pediatrician to see if other formulas could work
- Ask stores about when their formula shipment is coming in
- Shop early in the day
- Be flexible with brands if you can
- Get family and friends involved
- Reach out directly to manufacturers
“The situation here in Utah is pretty dire,” said Reynolds. “It’s a really difficult situation right now and our hearts go out to these families.”The fear now is how long will this shortage last.
“My baby is only seven weeks old and we are going a year until she is going to need food. So we are going to need a lot of cans of this [formula],” Farnes said.
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 15103)
- SB I-15 closed in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 6159)
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday (pageviews: 5870)
- Teens build intricate 'Gingerbread Cathedral,' get out of writing essay (pageviews: 4804)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 4665)
- Witness recounts 'miraculous' Moab rescue after BASE jumper crashes into cliff (pageviews: 3558)