Gold medalist Nathan Chen returns to the ice at Maverik Center
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — The crowd sat in anticipation to welcome home one of their own — Olympic Gold Medalist Nathan Chen.
Drawing in the tiniest of fans… and some of his long-time supporters
Stephanee Grosscup was Chen’s first coach.
“He’s the golden boy!” Grosscup said. “Everyone asks me about Nathan.”
Grosscup has been coaching skating for decades and says coming across a talent like Nathan is a rarity.
“It was very obvious when he was a young man that he had something that was so incredibly focused. I used to call him ‘my little balance master,’” she said.
That skill earned him the Gold Medal in the Bejing Olympics for men’s long program.
It’s why some fans came to see him all the way from Japan.
And brought out locals who are happy to feel represented, like Angela Chang.
Salt Lake City showing Nathan they’ll always support him.
“We all love him so much,” Grosscup said.
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 21408)
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 14286)
- R. Kelly sentenced to 30 years in sex trafficking case (pageviews: 6417)
- UPDATE: Ogden teen found by family (pageviews: 5704)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4791)
- Yellowstone bison gores Colorado man, causes arm injury (pageviews: 3806)