Skydiver who crashed in South Jordan is in critical condition but making a slow recovery
LEHI, Utah – A terrible skydiving accident leaves a Lehi man in the hospital in critical condition. But his family tells KSL that it’s a miracle that he survived at all, and right now, he’s showing good signs of recovery.
Austin Measles, 27, who is considered to be a professional skydiver making hundred of jumps over the years, crashed landed on Saturday afternoon at a park in South Jordan. He had just jumped out of a helicopter and planned to meet his family for lunch.
“Some sort of air current hit him, and it kind of picked him up and threw him down,” said his sister Whitney Oestreich.
According to Austin’s brother, Jackson, he was doing an expert maneuver that he’s done many times before, and something may have gone wrong.
“It looks like altitude was perhaps miss judged or wind could have played a factor,” said Jackson Measles.
The family estimates he hit the ground going about 50 to 80 miles per hour. Austin was flown to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, where he is in the ICU and in critical condition but is now stable.
Emotions are running high for family and friends.
“There’s definitely a lot of hurt, pain that we didn’t know we could experience,” said Jackson. “He’s my best friend. I rely on him.”
But there is hope. Austin shattered many bones but didn’t break his neck or spine, and his brain seems to be okay.
“He had opened his eyes, he was nodding, shaking his head to ‘yes’ and ‘no’ questions. He was moving his hands and legs. So that’s a great sign,” said Whitney.
Another miracle. Jackson says his brother made a last-minute change before his jump, grabbing a bigger parachute, which slowed down his fall.“We feel that was a miracle in and of itself,” said Jackson.
A GoFundMe* has been set up to help him and his wife with medical expenses.
*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)