Man arrested after allegedly disarming police officer and firing shots
OGDEN, Utah — A man is in custody after disarming a police officer and firing shots at other police.
According to court documents, a man identified as Dana Smith, was fleeing the Common Cents store at 3563 Wall Ave. after punching a woman in the face.
Police located Smith near Costco, and upon contact, he fled running southbound.
When police caught up with Smith it “ended up in a physical altercation,” at which point Smith grabbed one officer’s firearm and “discharged it.”
No one was hit or injured by the fired shots.
Smith was then tazed and taken to the hospital to be medically cleared before he was ultimately arrested and booked into Weber County Jail on the following charges: disarming a police officer, two counts of assault on peace officer with use of dangerous weapon, failure to stop at command of law enforcement, interference with arresting officer, failure to disclose identity, assault, and felony discharge of firearm.
Court documents state, “Smith had complete disregard to the public’s safety, as well as safety of others and himself during the course of this incident. Dana Smith purposefully disarmed an officer of his firearm and purposefully fired it without any regard for human life/safety of others, in the direction of Officers trying to detain Dana [Smith].”
- Utah boy dies after falling off school slide (pageviews: 19686)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 9869)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 8132)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 7085)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 5854)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3704)