Former police officer in custody after threatening Saratoga Springs assistant chief
SARATOGA SPRINGS, Utah — A former Saratoga Springs police officer is in custody after he allegedly threatened to kill his former assistant chief.
Sgt. Spencer Cannon with the Utah County Sheriff’s Office said deputies were contacted by the Saratoga Springs Police Department regarding the threats around 5:30 p.m. Monday.
The suspect, identified as 42-year-old Jared Chuchran, of Saratoga Springs, had allegedly threatened the assistant chief and warned any police that tried to interfere “would be in trouble” as well.
Cannon said officers were also worried about the possibility of self-harm.
The Utah County Metro SWAT Team was dispatched to the Lehi area and deputies later learned Chuchran was heading south toward Juab County.
Chuchran was located at a campground near Little Sahara Recreational Area and he was taken into custody without incident before 9 p.m. Monday.
Cannon said Chuchran did have firearms in his possession, but no shots were fired. Officers seized those when Chuchran was arrested, and Chuchran was taken to an area hospital for a mental health evaluation.
Cannon said taking someone into custody and transporting them to get help is a fairly typical response if deputies believe there is any threat of hurting another person or a possibility of self-harm.
Chuchran could later be booked into jail if investigators recommend criminal charges to the Utah County Attorney.
- Family members remember, honor two USU plane crash victims (pageviews: 7173)
- UPDATE: Ogden teen found by family (pageviews: 6659)
- 48 migrants die after trailer abandoned in Texas heat (pageviews: 6371)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 6316)
- R. Kelly sentenced to 30 years in sex trafficking case (pageviews: 6069)
- Why this mom’s abortion decision challenged her family’s religious beliefs (pageviews: 4164)