Former Carbon High School golf coach arrested for sexual abuse of a minor
CARBON COUNTY, Utah — A former high school golf coach was arrested for sexual abuse of a minor.
According to court documents, 54-year-old Kenneth Otani was arrested for the following possible charges: object rape and forcible sodomy: both first degree felonies, and forcible sexual abuse, a second degree felony on May 26, 2022.
The victim met Otani, while in high school when Otani was a coach at Carbon High. The victim was also enrolled in private golf lessons at the Carbon County Country Club with Otani as the instructor, which is when the abuse would occur.
Otani was employed by the school until 2020, but is no longer a coach there.
According to court documents, the abuse occurred “at least 100 times” over a four year period and Otani was only arrested after the victim told their parents about the abuse in 2022.
Otani has continued to behave as if he and the victim are in an “ongoing emotional, romantic and sexual relationship,” court documents state.
Within the investigation, the victim supplied police with access to their texts and 16,763 texts were exchanged between Otani and the victim over that four year period.
Tom King, the golf professional with Carbon County Country Club, confirmed that Otani is an employee of the golf course.
He said they’re reviewing the situation and making decisions how to proceed.
Carbon County School District did not respond immediately for comment.
- Utah boy dies after falling off school slide (pageviews: 19686)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 9869)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 8132)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 7085)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 5854)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3704)