1 in custody after shots fired near Hill Cumorah Visitors’ Center
MANCHESTER, N.Y. — New York State Police say a 23-year-old man was taken into custody after several shots were fired at or near the Hill Cumorah Visitors’ Center.
State troopers responded to the area Wednesday evening after an apartment window was struck by a bullet. After troopers and deputies with the Ontario County Sheriff’s Office arrived at the scene, they reported additional shots being fired.
“Visitors and residents at Hill Cumorah were sheltered in place until the State Police, Ontario County and Wayne County SWAT teams evacuated them to another location,” police said in a press release.
The Finger Lakes Times reports that about 80 people were in the Hill Cumorah Visitors’ Center when shots were fired and Ontario County personnel said over 22 shots were fired at the building.
Church spokesperson Eric Hawkins said no injuries were reported.
State police said their investigation led them to Michael Bushart, of Fairport, New York, who was allegedly target shooting from farmland west of Hill Cumorah.
“A search warrant was executed in Fairport and a number of long guns were seized,” police said. Bushart was later arrested and booked into jail on a felony charge of reckless endangerment.
He was arraigned Thursday morning and released after being placed on pretrial supervision, police said.
Crews from New York State Police, NYSP Aviation, the Ontario County and Wayne County sheriff’s offices, FBI, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Police, and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms responded to the incident Wednesday.
State police said their investigation is ongoing.
- Kirstie Alley, Emmy-winning ‘Cheers’ star, dies at 71 (pageviews: 24529)
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 9347)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as 'the life of the party' (pageviews: 7132)
- ‘It’s kind of an eerie feeling;’ Utah man living in Hawaii witnesses Mauna Loa eruption - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4470)
- Utah family gets 'a measure of justice' in 50-year-old rape case (pageviews: 4133)
- Netflix's 'Falling for Christmas' filmed at these charming Utah locations (pageviews: 3798)