Teen boy goes under at Newcastle Reservoir; recovery operation underway
IRON COUNTY, Utah — A recovery operation is currently underway at Newcastle Reservoir in Iron County after authorities say a 14-year-old boy went under the water.
Officials with the Iron County Sheriff’s Office said Cedar Communications was notified of the incident around 2:20 p.m. Saturday.
According to on scene deputies, two brothers — a 14-year-old and a 17-year-old — were both in kayaks, not wearing life jackets, and attempting to knock each other out.
“It was reported the 14-year-old didn’t know how to swim, and went under in about 10-12 feet of water. At the time 911 was notified, the 14-year-old had been under the water for approximately 10 minutes,” stated a release Saturday afternoon from the Iron County Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies, paramedics, dive teams, and a LifeFlight helicopter have since responded to the scene.
“A recovery operation is underway in search of the body at this time,” stated the release.
Additional details were not immediately available.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7254)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 4854)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 4398)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3016)
- One dead, one in critical condition after being hit while changing tires in Ogden (pageviews: 2865)