Utah man faces first-degree murder charge for fatal shooting
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah man, who was free on bail and a federal fugitive — not faces first degree murder charges for the shooting death of Robert Barros, 40.
In addition to the murder charge Wednesday, 41-year-old Jared Charles Lance, sometimes known as TK, is facing charges of aggravated robbery, possession of a weapon by a restricted person and obstructing justice — all felonies. He was a fugitive on a previous felony charge and had eluded apprehension for months, according to probable cause court documents.
He will be held without bail.
Police said Lance shot Barros after he blocked his car in an apartment complex parking lot. Barros had wounds in the upper chest and middle back, stumbled out of his car before falling and did not respond to life-saving efforts by police at the scene of the shooting.
Both cars were initially missing, and both were found by police. One had Lance’s identification and cell phone in the car when found.
Police also have surveillance footage of Lance getting in one of the vehicles before the shooting and returning to the same Kearns home with the other car after the time of the shooting He was also said to be captured on back-yard surveillance video, burning items he carried there in a box.
Documents say Lance placed the box in a fire pit and started a fire, with wood and lighter fluid.
We are investigating a deadly shooting at 1790 S West Temple.
We are requesting assistance from the community.
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) May 29, 2022
State prosecutors say Lance has violated his parole or conditions of release at least five times since 2008. He was previously convicted in federal court after a previous escape from custody.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 13464)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 10146)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10091)
- Utah truck driver arrested in California cold case from 1994 (pageviews: 6951)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 5445)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5414)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 4793)