Spring Up with Casey: Celebrating Juneteenth in Utah
OGDEN, Utah — It’s time to Spring Up with Casey Scott, who was at the Ogden City Amphitheater on Thursday to take a look at some of the Juneteenth celebrations planned across the state this weekend.
For over 150 years, Juneteeth has been celebrated across the country to commemorate the day enslaved Black Americans in Texas first learned of their emancipation by the proclamation made by Abraham Lincoln.
President Joe Biden signed into law a bill to make Juneteenth, or June 19, the 12th federal holiday in 2021, and earlier this year, Gov. Spencer Cox signed legislation making it a state holiday.
See which events are taking place near you this weekend here.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 24105)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 8038)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 6318)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 5386)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 3473)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3334)