Salt Lake Co. distributes COVID vaccines for children 6-months and older
SALT LAKE CITY — Some of Utah’s youngest kids rolled up their sleeves for their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine Tuesday.
Children 6 months to 5 years old are now eligible as the Salt Lake County Health Department saw a steady stream of eager parents with their kids Tuesday.
For many parents, this has been a long-awaited opportunity. This is the last age group to get the OK for the COVID-19 vaccine.
“This morning when we opened, we already had several people ready to go. They were extremely eager,” said Nicholas Rupp, communications director for the Salt Lake County Health Department.
Immunization nurses in the department are giving pediatric COVID vaccinations at all clinics.
“It’s been really busy today,” Rupp said. “We have most of our appointments filled today with our pediatric vaccines. We have a couple of openings this afternoon. But, it’s been back to back.”
Walk-ins are welcome, but you may wait a little bit longer.
They administered 260 vaccinations in the first five hours, and many parents have made appointments for their kids. These are child-sized doses administered several weeks apart.
Four-year-old Viola Fairfax-Panza was actually eager to get her vaccination because her older brother had already gotten his.
“She kept asking when she was going to be able to get vaccinated because he had already been vaccinated plus had his booster,” said her mother, Keke Fairfax.
Viola’s mother was disappointed when the CDC delayed the vaccine in February.
“I am an immunologist,” Fairfax said. “So, I’ve been waiting a very long time to get her protected.”
Immunization nurses are prepared to talk with parents who have questions.
“I understand people who are vaccine-hesitant,” Rupp said. “You want to do the right thing for your child. So, talk to your trusted medical provider.”
- 8-year-old girl dies after Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 17916)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16520)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 8565)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8196)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7815)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6068)